Our Home Story

"I am terrible with goodbyes," I say.

We take one last picture. The van drives away.

We go back inside.  There are only two breakfast plates left.  The painting of a vibrant red rose greets me. Love, it seemed to say.

The guest room is cleaned. A frame sits on the side table. On the wall, the white rose painting hung. Quiet,  it gently said.

I am terrible with goodbyes.

Time flies so fast. The days are too short. I need more than sixty minutes in an hour. The words flow. Laughter fills every room. Stories are told. Many of them, one after another. Movies. Food. Family. Travel. School. Careers. Passion. Love. Life. Home. 

I am terrible with goodbyes.

Tyler, our Dutch Shepherd looks at the bags and luggage lined up at the gate, whimpers. Or maybe it is just his ears bothering him.

Garret peers into the guest room, eyes questioning.  "Where are they, Mama?' he seemed to ask.

I remember the day. I am wrapped in an embrace so tight. I have never been held like that in my entire life.

I am terrible with goodbyes.

But I am good with words. I used to be terrible with names. But I guess it depends on the people they are assigned to.

Jenna.
Eyes the color of the ocean. Deep. Calm. Listening.


Keagan.
Eager eyes.  Kind. Radiant smile.


Diana.
Spanish eyes. Honest. Still. Beautiful.




Lizzie.
Gentle. Tender heart. Light. Sleep. Pineapples. Joy.



Jennifer.
The rainbow we saw yesterday. Vibrant. Everything good. The pot of gold. Serendipity. Heaven looking after me.



I am terrible with goodbyes.
I am good with names now. 
And I am good with words.
And stories. Home stories.

And as with every leaving and finding home,
There is another thing I am good at--

Tears.  


 "Love is the greatest gift we have to offer and the reason that we are here on this earthly journey. When we connect with another soul it is a sacred encounter. Kindred spirits, healing partners, walking each other home. We're all just walking each other home."

                                                                                                                -Ram Dass









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

The Most Important Question of All

Stretching After Laundry