Intentional Presence

     I was preparing my first cup of coffee in the morning when the black-naped Orioles began calling. They occasionally visit the Neem Tree that grew just outside our property ten years ago. I noticed how it sounded as if there were more than two orioles which was a rare occurrence. And so, I decided to take my coffee outside. 

     It took a while before they sang again, maybe a good 5-7 minutes or so. In which time, I had already taken the first few, very much welcome sips of my waking brew. I took in their song still seated, resisting the immediate urge to have a visual on them. I continued to relish my cup of black whilst basking in their music. As I did, I heard the zebra doves cooing their soothing tune like a flute as well. The yellow-vented bulbuls were chiming in their short but sweet tones. And not to be excluded were the Philippine-pied fan tails with their staccato-like chirps. It was as if I was listening to a mini symphony live. The garden was my music hall and the musicians, these beautiful, winged creatures. 

     After a while, I finally decided to try to see them amidst the thick branches and leaves with my myopic vision. Flashes of vibrant yellow illuminated further by the morning sun appeared, one, two, then three and a fourth! Four orioles! They flew from the Neem tree to the Talisay tree, then back again. The brown shrike even joined in their dance of flight. Oh, how my heart leaped!  All of my senses came alive.  What a beautiful sight it was to witness. 

    Time and time again, the birds teach me so much about pausing, taking notice and breathing everything in. Experiencing the experience for what it is, when it is happening, as it is happening. They show me how if I become patient, still and quiet enough, beauty spreads its wings. Even and perhaps more so in the process of these three things, beauty is found. Beauty manifesting as calm, equanimity and clarity, where ruminations and discursive thoughts disperse and answers in the simplest form emerge. Answers that are held in presence. 

     Arriving in full presence is the first lesson and foundation in the practice of Mindfulness. To arrive is to learn how to catch oneself in the flurry of rush and to-do lists that usually start our days, to pause and breathe. And then to intentionally bring to one's attention the next step, whatever that may be. Boiling water for that first cup of the morning, brushing one's teeth, taking a shower, or preparing breakfast for our family. In the process of making the intention come alive, to experience the experience is to be fully present, not letting life pass us by. And when it passes as all things in this material world does, to give thanks. In the end of our formal or informal practice of Mindfulness, perhaps we may finally understand that Mindfulness is essentially the practice of living life with attention and devotion and that are all worthy of this. We may have only forgotten this simple yet powerful truth-- that we are worthy enough of this given and gifted, sanctity of a life to offer it the presence we deserve. 

     The four black-naped orioles flew away into the morning sun shortly after I intentionally chose to experience them in their full glory. While the vision and sound of their presence was transient, my heart was filled with joy and gratitude. And somehow my cup of coffee tasted so much richer and nudged me into the day with more vitality and dare I say, grace. 



Oriolus Chinensis
Photo by Nick Dean from Flickr



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All