To Be Human






The sun came out this morning

With a pair of butterflies white

flitting, finally breathing 

the world outside their cocoons

and dragonflies too meeting

at the cusp of their newfound love

The Brown Shrike shrieks

in full glory, unrelenting 

announcing to all who dare

not shut their ears,

"I'm here! I'm here!"


Beautiful silence came after 

Necessary notes have been played

And in this space of beauty emerged

a memory of compassion, 

an aching at another one's pain

an imbuement of a life suffering

as if it were their own


For every wave of joy

is an undertow of sorrow

A force pulling even the 

strongest swimmers under

down where breath 

deign to exist


There too is joy to be had in this

perhaps, but more so peace

After all it is more than just

happiness alone we came to seek

We are given this life 

to heal and be healed. 

We are here

to be human, to be more of it.

 

"Words are like a railing to hold on to in the dark." This quote I heard from another of Green Renaissance's stories. I find writing has always been my own railing. Even in the light, words inspired by various muses in the form of experiences, people and most of all mother nature hold me steadfast to this given and gifted life. This particular poem I wrote is an attempt to present a glimpse of a spectrum of a life-- my own in the simple appreciation of migratory birds arriving again in our garden and other winged creatures that grace our home and that of another whose ministry of healing has shown a different, deeper kind of appreciation for a life offered in the service of the wounded. I would like to believe that while one cannot be compared to another, both serve as vehicles for navigating this life in a more significant manner. I hope whoever you are reading this find the words that came out of my virtual pen to be your own unique railing as well, holding you steadfast as you walk both in darkness and light. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All