A Poem for Seven Years

Sailboats,
again? You asked me
Smirking,
Eyes all knowing,
rolling.

Of course. Don't ask
why but I will tell you
Remember when I
drifted to you?
I did not know why
either, I just did.

You at the time, smiled
Or was it a smirk?
Needless to say
I steered my oars
In your direction,
The pier was free
I disembarked and saw
your door was open
You bade me with no words,
"Come in."

I knocked, you opened.
I spoke, you responded
And we laughed
A million laughs
Did we weep?

Don't even ask.

Even as we speak
or not
Days, weeks or months,
I still drift to you with
words, I miss you,
My friend.

Sometimes we laugh.
Most times we ponder.
Other times we weep.
Several times we reveal
and recant.
And then

We set sail again.

So of course, sailboats.
We go where the wind
takes us.
When the time comes
to dock, we do.
Drop down our anchors,
Walk to the pier,
knock on doors,
 and just like
that, our arms wide,
We say,
"How are you?"

I miss you dearly,
Helene, my friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All