Psychology As I Know It

Three days ago, I was tasked by the Rotary Club of Ormoc to be part of our senior students' career orientation scheduled Saturday, November 29  to briefly talk about the field of Psychology. It has been a long time since I have spoken about my degree. It has been a long time since I have spoken to an audience of 70 plus or more. It has been a long time since I have prepared a speech. To be exact it was almost two years since the last training program I facilitated which entailed only five participants organized by the same club members who requested my help at the time.

I prepared the speech yesterday in just under an hour. (This, I have to thank CrossFit for, which will require an entirely separate post). I had no time to do a more comprehensive research which I did not need to do anyhow  since I was instructed to prepare a 5-minute speech. Given the routine limited availability of my schedule, I did one rough run through of my speech in front of our three office staff members. And that was it.

So it was no surprise to me that upon arriving at the venue, seeing all the students all seated and ready, my hands were cold and shaking. I had this familiar knot in my stomach that spelled stage fright and anxiety, which I realized was a good thing because it meant that this was something important for me. But more than that, I knew that this meant I among other speakers had  the influence and power to impact the decision-making of these 77 senior students.  No easy task, no heavier responsibility.



After the perfunctory rites, it was finally time. I went in front of the students and proceeded to do my task first with the icebreaker I prepared then with the brief speech. And when it was over, a Rotarian commended me. "I recorded your speech." I could only manage a barely audible, "Salamat." in my disbelief at this compliment.


But this was just icing on the cake. 

After all the speeches, it was time for the students to go to the different stations to have a more in depth discussion with the speakers of their chosen program. I had the wonderful opportunity to answer the queries of four students. At the end of our 15-20 minute exchange, one of the students remarked, "Pwede mu-graduate na ta ugma? Kay mu enroll nako ug Psychology." (Can we graduate already tomorrow? So we can already enroll in Psychology?) To this the other three smiled and said, "Bitaw."

My heart swelled and said, "My work is done. I accomplished what I came to do."



Helen Keller once said, "When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life and in the life of others."

I have the Rotary Club of Ormoc to be much grateful for this amazing opportunity. Because of their motto, "Service Above Self", I am able to partake in an experience serving a purpose greater than myself, to positively influence the life of another. To create miracles in one's life and in the life of another.

My personal miracle is the sweet knowledge that I was able to articulate a message strong enough to move even at least one audience member and affirm the beliefs and convictions of those four students.  As for the miracle in the lives of the students, that is yet to be seen. But I am optimistic. With the amount of love and dedication the Rotarians have put into making the career orientation successful, half a decade and a decade or more from now, we will be seeing young men and women becoming  educators, engineers, doctors, lawyers, architects,  businessmen, and whatever career they have chosen to go into, fighting the good fight and paying it forward as they all have.




Now, if I can only convince at least one of you to do Crossfit. (Wink!)

Anyhow, here's the speech I gave to the seniors. I do realize that this speech is more poetic than it is based on facts. I am a rebel when it comes to speeches because sometimes there is no better way to let one's truth be heard than to  write and speak from the heart.

Happy reading!

Psychology As I Know It
So, why are you here?

"To have a career orientation."

"To clarify my future."

"To know more about the different college programs."

Psychology is the study of human behavior. Behavior is propelled by motivation, reason. Behavior is course of action. Behavior is personality, intelligence and coping mechanisms manifested.

Why are you planning to take up Education, Law, Engineering, Architecture, Nursing, Medicine? Is it because of money? Is it because of passion? Is it because you love what the work requires of you? Is it because of your own choosing? Is it because of your parents' decision?

Psychology is understanding behavior, motivation, reason, personality, intelligence, coping mechanisms.

For one to persevere in a course of action, to finish a task, to stay in a college program of 4-5 years in education or engineering, to finish 8-12 years in law or medicine, you must ask the most important question of all-- Why? "What for?" And you must have a definitive answer to your why.

Psychology comes from the Greek word "Psyche" meaning mind, spirit. Everything starts with the mind. The mind is where the question "why?" emerges. And where the mind begins is where the future of your life begins.

This is the beauty of Psychology. This is what we do. We help you understand who you are, your motivations, your personality, your coping mechanisms. We help you establish your why. We help people help themselves. We help you help yourselves. We help you become better educators, better engineers, better lawyers, better doctors, better nurses, better dentists, better pharmacists. We help you become better people. 

The Rotary Club of Ormoc is here because they have the motto: Service Above Self. To serve a greater purpose than oneself. This is their why. I ask you, dear Paulinian seniors, "What is yours?”

Good Morning.

Photography: Beautiful Rotarian Spouse Mennen Chu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All