Para Kang Coach Chino


Despedida. Leave taking. Parting of ways. I have lost count of the number of friends who have left for another country. It doesn't matter that I only have ten fingers and the friends who have left are less than ten. Because who I consider friends are the very few people who have moved me in remarkable ways. And one leaving is a tad too many. I don't do well with goodbyes. Like most people I suppose. I'd rather take it all in and write. So here I am again dealing with another friend leaving.

Coach Chino, my only regret is that I was not able to take the opportunity to be under your wing, save for my elements classes, during your time in Pintados. But, they say there is a purpose for everything. Do know that whatever you have shared with Andro and me-- your passion, your commitment, the sincerity of your friendship, your "realness" as a human being,  will not be forgotten. When Keza informed us about the details of your despedida, and she said to bring food that you would not anymore find in the U.S., we  thought how brilliant it was. Clearly, Andro and I were not able to make it. But if I tell you how many, many times during the day we talk about you and Keza and how sad we are of your leaving, then you would know the entire story.

Anyhow, here is my first attempt at writing Cebuano poetry. Because well, obviously, one thing you would certainly miss in the land of the free is the richness of our Cebuano language. And because the subject in this "balak" is most definitely one food you would miss.

Coach Chino, thank you for all that you are to us. Safe travels...
  

     Ginabot

     Maayo pa ang ginabot.
     Ug unsa ka lami atong una
     Hangtod karon lami
     Lang gihapon
     Ug naa lang gihapon nahamutang
     Sa suok-suok sa Fuenta Osmena
     Diin ang mga tindero
     Mangamay, "Ali ma'am, sir, palit diri!"
     Kahuman ug pili
     Paresan dayon ug puso,
     Pepsi o Sparkol ba kaha
     Ug matod pa sa akong
     Kaila nga mambabalak,
     "Ginabot, puso, pepsi--
      Usa ka libong himaya."
   
      Ig abot aning puntuha
      Mangutana siguro ang mambabasa
      Unsa may labot sa ginabot
      Sa higala nga gialay
      ning balaka?

      Sayon ug simple ra ang tubag,

      Maayo pa ang ginabot
      Naka hatag pa
      Ug usa ka libong himaya,
      Apan ang panahon namo
      Para mapalig-on pa ang
      Panag-higala tabla ra sa
      Dili usa ka libo, dili man gani
      Usa ka gatos ka adlaw
      Tabla ra intawn sa murag
      Usa ka dupa nga lakang
      Ug usa ka ginhawa nga lawom.

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All