Blind Corners and Jack Hammers


Sudden memories
Appear out of nowhere
Like cocktail servings
In minute increments
Like unexpectedly meeting
An old friend as you turn
Left at a blind corner
Catching you viciously off guard
Like being shown an old
Home video
That remind your sorry self
How at one point you were alive
Tasted life down to its
Very core
Dared to go to the very edge
And yet find that,
You could not say
"More."
Instead what you could manage were
Soft retorts of,
"Maybe in an alternate universe,
Maybe another lifetime. "
And now I am writing this
On an imaginary journal
That you handed to me
On the drabbest street
Praying as I write you feel
The strokes, hear me talk
To myself,
"Life is a word problem,
According to them
Whoever said calculus
Was of no use was right
A lot of X's and Y's
Variables they call them
Damn right they were
And me? I'm a "W"
And there's no solution
To this complexity
There can be
No saving me or you."
And these memories?
They don't do anything
Except to fill those
Empty spaces that
Were once no less empty
Until you filled them
With impossible possibilities.
Possible impossibilities
Which is it?
My head is pounding
Like a jackhammer on
an unfinished cemented street
Now I would rather have
Myself smacked on that
Blind corner wall than see
What was around it.



Photo credit: http://www.danheller.com/czech-prg-str-bw.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All