Grand Things

"Ako po si Ronald, Surf Instructor 'nyo," he says. He holds out his hand.  He is slim in stature, around 5'3" tall. He has clean-cut hair and an easy, kind  smile. He is only 18  years old, a grade 12 student at the local high school. He lays the board on the sand and says, "Sir, Ma'am, 3 safety rules muna tayo, bago mag simula." (Let's know the three safety rules of surfing.) He proceeds to orient us with it in a clear, gentle but very firm voice. While he is laying out the rules, he looks at my husband. "Nakuha, Sir?" (Did you understand the rules?) He then turns to look at me.  "Ulitin ko Ma'am ha."(I'll repeat the rules.) He repeats the rules this time directing them  specifically to me. And then he looks at both of us and says, "Last time Sir and Ma'am ha. Para sigurado." (Just to make sure, I'll repeat it one last time.) Ronald reiterates the safety rules the third time. A good 15 minutes is spent in the sand making sure we know how to be safe with our boards in the water. Afterwards, he continues to teach us the proper body positioning, the pop-up and stance.  Another 10 minutes is allotted for this.  "Ready na kayo, Ma'am?" (Are you ready?)  I tell him I wanted to practice three more times on the sand before heading in. He nods and smiles,  correcting my stance here and there. He is patient and polite. 

We finally enter the water. It is 7 a.m. and the sun is bright, her rays beautifully illuminating the water from the Pacific, making it glisten like jewels.  "Sige Ma'am, eto, ready na kayo?"  He directs me and my board. "Paddle, paddle," I paddle quickly and hard. "Tayo!" I pop up and cruise for 14 seconds. "Woohoo!" He shouts. I crash afterwards and paddle back to him. A grin is plastered on his face.

In between waves, as I rest on the board, I ask him for how long he has been surfing. "Not too long," he says. "After Yolanda, po. Hiram lang ako ng board sa kung sino ang may board. Nagsimula din ako na hindi marunong masyado ma'am. Hanggang natuto din ako. Lahat tayo nagsisimula talaga sa beginner, Ma'am." (I learned to surf after Typhoon Yolanda. I just borrowed a board from those who had surfboards . I also started as a beginner. Everybody starts as a beginner.) Perhaps it is his way of boosting my confidence in riding the waves. I nod and smile , grateful for the non-judgmental nature of his assurance.  It is only my second time surfing but clearly I am still very much a beginner.  Bigger and stronger waves come as we wait for a wave to ride on and he tells me to duck or raise my body from the board to minimize being wiped out. After each bigger and stronger waves crash, he asks me kindly every time, "Okay ka lang, Ma'am?" (Are you okay?) We surf for a good one hour.  My husband surfs for a while too. Another hour is left on our slot. "Ikaw na naman, Ronald," my husband says to him. He grins with obvious joy and paddles farther out. A big wave comes and Ronald cruises as if walking on air, joy etched on his face. 

(Photo: Ronald, our Surf Instructor playing with the waves)

As we come up to shore,  I look at Ronald and marvel at how this 18 year old of a young man guided us that morning. It wasn't what words he said but how he said it. It wasn't how many times he made sure we understood the safety protocol. It was the thought put into it. It was the energy  that was pure light that I felt as he spoke to us and guided us. Something comes back to me now-- words that were said to me many moons ago. At the time, I did not fully understand its depth. This morning, now I finally understand its meaning--  "The sincerity of your heart has made the learning more compelling.

Ronald, an 18 year old, grade 12 student, with the slim stature, clean-cut hair and easy, kind smile, who briefed us the three rules of safety for surfing, who patiently taught us the proper surfing stance and gently assured me of how everybody starts somewhere, has all the sincerity of heart that overflowed from his entire being.  In the lessons he taught as a surf instructor this morning,  there was nothing too grand or compelling. But what transpired was this one true thing-- we met not only a surf instructor but also and most importantly a human being who was simply sincere and kind. Come to think of it, aren't these two-- sincerity and kindness by themselves grand and compelling things? 




Sabang Daguitan Surf Camp
Dulag, Leyte
Philippines
December 29, 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All