Gratitude Practice




How's your writing?"

We were having lunch over at our house and he asks the question. Sir Billy's tone was one of genuine interest. I answer. We continue the conversation. Ma'am Gie marvels at my boys. "Garret's nose is getting handsomer. Morgan has grown bigger than the last time we saw him" We talk about many important things-- plans, dreams, friendship, the respective energies we bring to our days, to our relationships, birthday plans. And we laugh. My favorite part when we get together-- we laugh the deep-down- in the- belly kind of laughter.

"Why haven't you written about the painting I gave you?" He had asked me the week after he gave me his watercolor painting. I did not have a straight answer at the time. I could not very well ask the Master Watercolorist, "How to write about something so precious? How to write something so valuable as the giving of one's heart or a piece of it at least?"

I realize now that we meet people we truly need on the road that we have fearlessly carved out for ourselves. And at the end of the day, we can only marvel and be grateful for everything that transpired, for lessons learned, wisdom gained through wonderfully unexpected friendships made.

How to write about something so precious as the giving of one's piece of life? Maybe in the simple everyday practice of gratitude.

Sir Billy's paintings are framed and have made a home in my space at work. They greet me in the morning as I begin my day and send me off as I go home. Everyday without fail, I look at them, remember the moments of care, real conversation and laughter, and my heart is full.

How's my writing? Full of nothing but gratitude.

Daghang salamat, Sir Billy

Puno kanunay akong kasingkasing matag kita nato, Ma'am Gie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For the Love of Stories

Stretching After Laundry

The Most Important Question of All